Rookie Awards 2020 | Rookie of the Year
Concept Art is created for feature film, computer games, story narrative, theme parks, advertising and fan-art purposes.
On behalf of the sponsors and judges, The Rookies would like to congratulate the following caetgory winners.
France | Brassart
I realized that I wanted to work in the creative media and entertainment industry especially in concept art since I begin to draw in the goal to create something new. I love telling stories through my illustrations.
Australia | Flinders University / CDW Studios
I studied architecture for a while but eventually left and found out about concept art in learning to draw as a hobby. I just started getting more involved, and eventually I decided to go all in. Now it's my life.
Canada | Syn Studio
France | Institut Artline
My name is Thibaud Delaperche, I'm french and I'm 24 years old. Today, I'm sure about what I want to do in my life. I want to become an artist in the creative industry. That's why I work everyday on my drawing, my painting, my metodology, my knowledge of new tools, my english. So, I'm really happy to share my work with all of you.
United States | Ringling College of Art and Design
During High School, I barely knew what concept art was, but I always reveled in the fantasy and magic of stories such as Spiderwick Chronicles, Dragon Age and Elder Scrolls. When I first got my hands on the Art Of Skyrim book, my eyes went wide with wonder and awe. It was beyond exciting. I thought to myself, "my dream is to do this as a career," but I knew I had a long road ahead. Here I am now, graduated and starting my first job in the Industry working as a concept artist in Games.
United States | Academy of Art University
Ever since I was a kid, I immersed myself in the fun of playing video games with my NES, scribbling comics, and making up stories of my toys.
France | ISART DIGITAL
It's been a while since I want to draw as a living. Growing up, I really started to have an interest in digital art and 3D.
France | ISART DIGITAL
I've been drawing since I was a child. While watching animated movies, I realized drawing can be a job and... Now, I'm in Paris, currently studying game art. My biggest dream is to be a creature artist, because I've always loved to draw animals and creatures. I also adore designing characters and environments, any challenges are welcome!
The following winners made a lasting impression on the judging panel and secured highly sort after Excellence Awards and Draft Selection badges.
A concept artist is a designer who visualises & creates art for characters, creatures, vehicles, environments, and other creative assets. This category is perfect for game artists, illustrators, visual designers, theme park designer and urban designers alike.
What the judges are looking for are artists to showcase their process. They want entrants to show polished final artworks with amazing lighting, composition and techniques. However, the best way to really impress a judge in this category is to share your process. Share how you approached the design brief you worked with and help the judges understand the challenges you overcame from a creative and technical point of view.
- Share your design process, not only your finished artwork. Show the judges how your solve design problems.
- Do not submit 3D models. Although this is often heavily incorporated into a concept artists skillset, judges are looking for how you incorporate 3D elements to enhance your 2D painting skills. If using photo-reference, fan-art or other elements, please credit owner.
- Share sketches and other supporting material to help show off your design process and abilities to work with basic shapes and silhouettes.
Requirements & Deliveries
- You must create a single entry page that includes all your best work. Do not create multiple entries with single projects as you will be disqualified.
- Your work must be primarily 2D based. 3D elements are allowed to help with composition and blocking, but should not be the focus.
- Put effort into your entry page by including text descriptions, titles, work-in-progress and any include supporting material that you feel will impress the judges.
The judges are looking for artists that are ready for the challenges of production. They are looking for artists with a passion for this category and have worked hard to hone their skills.
The judges will be considering your overall presentation, technical skills, creative skills, variety of content, and employment potential. Treat your entry like a job interview. You have one page to show how amazing your skills are.
How to enter
- Read the Rules. Don’t worry, there isn’t too much lawyer talk in there. Quick Link.
- Create an Entry using the button below.
Need some help? Watch this video demonstration to help make sure you create the best entry possible.