Rookie Awards 2021 | Rookie of the Year
Concept Art is created for feature film, computer games, story narrative, theme parks, advertising and fan-art purposes.
On behalf of the sponsors and judges, The Rookies would like to congratulate the following category winners.
France | NEW3DGE
When I was little I always imagined myself telling myself stories, and gradually I discovered the profession of graphic designer and interior architect which made me realize that there are several area where I could tell real stories through my images .
France | ISART DIGITAL
It's been a while since I want to draw as a living. Growing up, I really started to have an interest in digital art and 3D.
United States | Art Center College of Design
France | New3dge
Drawing has always been a necessity for me since the very early stages of my life, and at 5 years old, I already knew that I couldn't live a life without art being part of my job.
France | ISART Digital
When I was in the last school year, I didn't know what I wanted to do. After some " job-in-the-future-search" in Google, I discovered the Game Art universe. It mixed my two passions: videogames and drawing. At this moment, my choice of career became clear :D
Australia | Flinders University / CDW Studios
I have always had a deep love for the entertainment industry, primarily in film and video games. From a very young age, it has been a dream of mine to work in said industry, and this goal is currently at the forefront of my life.
The following winners made a lasting impression on the judging panel and secured highly sought after badges.
A concept artist is a designer who visualises & creates art for characters, creatures, vehicles, environments, and other creative assets. This category is perfect for game artists, illustrators, visual designers, theme park designer and urban designers alike.
What the judges are looking for are artists to showcase their process. They want entrants to show polished final artworks with amazing lighting, composition and techniques. However, the best way to really impress a judge in this category is to share your process. Share how you approached the design brief you worked with and help the judges understand the challenges you overcame from a creative and technical point of view.
- Do not submit 3D renders. Although 3D assets are often incorporated into your work, judges are more interested in your 2D painting skills and how you may choose to use 3D elements to enhance your work.
- If using photo-reference, fan-art or other elements, please credit owner.
- Ask questions on our Discord Channel if you need help.
- Review Winning Entries from last year that were selected by our judges.
- Watch this video demonstration that shows how to create a perfect entry.
Requirements & Deliveries
- Read the Rules to make sure you are eligible to enter.
- No team entries allowed for this category.
- Share sketches and other supporting material to help show off your design process and abilities to work with basic shapes and silhouettes.
- Share your process with the judging panel by including supporting material, not only finished artworks.
- Share examples of your work that showcase your related skills to this category.
The judges are looking for artists that are ready for employment. They are looking for artists with a passion for this category and have worked hard to hone their skills.
The judges will be considering your overall presentation, technical skills, creative skills, variety of content, and employment potential. Treat your entry like a job interview and share your best work to impress the judges.
How to enter
- Click Submit Entry button to create an entry page.
- Upload your best images, videos and supporting media using our entry page builder.
- Select ‘Rookie of the Year > Concept Art’ as your nominated category.
- Add details including a cover image, title, description, tags, and software used.
- Accept rules and confirm eligibility.
- Confirm & Submit your entry to judging panel.