Rookie of the Year
Concept Art & Illustration
Concept Art & Illustrations are created for feature film, computer games, story narrative, theme parks, advertising and fan-art purposes.Create Entry
More About the Contest
From character and environment design to matte painting and digital paint overs, the judges will be looking for all examples of digital illustrations and concept art. This category is very wide and will often accept the widest range of work.
What the judges are looking for with this category are artists to showcase their process. They want entrants to show polished final artworks with amazing lighting, composition and techniques. However, the best way to really impress a judge in this category is to share your process. Share the brief you worked with and help the judge understand the challenges you overcame from a creative and technical point of view.
- Combine all your best work into one single entry. Multiple entries with individual projects will not be reviewed.
- You are allowed to submit work that uses 3D and 2D elements. However, the key factor judges are looking for is the ability to deliver concept art and illustrations that meet a brief.
- Don’t just upload a finished image. This will not be enough for the judges to truly understand your full potential as a concept artists. Share less polished sketches too, share ideas and projects you completed with a fast turn-around.
- Judges are looking for the best illustrator to work in their chosen field. This means that all illustrators can submit work regardless of whether they want to work in film, games, theme park design, urban design or story narrative.
- Do not just submit Zbrush models. Although this is often a large part of a concept artists skillset, make sure to include how you used the model and why you created a 3D asset instead of a 2D element.
- If using photo-reference, fan-art or other elements, please credit owner.
We are proud and humbled to have the support of these industry leading brands that are passionate about helping the next generation of creators.