Rookie Awards 2021 | Rookie of the Year
Entries should include content specifically created for feature animated films/shorts. The key is that all elements should be full CG - environments, characters, set, props, animation and effects.
On behalf of the sponsors and judges, The Rookies would like to congratulate the following category winners.
South Korea | Hansung University
The motion graphic field, which can even control movement, was attractive.
United States | Ringling College of Art and Design
One of my earliest memories is of my older brother showing me an episode of Spongebob Squarepants, which hooked me into an obsession with all things related to entertainment. When I was around 12 or 13 years old, I became deeply rooted in the world of animation. I was drawn in by tv shows at the time which opened my mind to the possibilities of storytelling, particularly Cartoon Network's "Adventure Time". I knew ever since that I wanted to be a part of the animation community.
Sweden | ARTFX Montpellier
As a child, as soon as I started playing video games, I was amazed by the fantasy world and the colossal creatures we could find in it. My dream was to one day participate in this enterprise. I get interested in the field of 3D and programming, and eventually joined ARTFXin Montpellier. I finished these studies 6 months ago. Met a lot of precious friends, conceived a lot of projects, and now I'm working in Sweden, at ILP for 2 months I think that the "me" of 15 years ago would be proud
Iran | Think Tank Online ( Think tank Training Centre - ONLINE )
Since When I sew movies like Avatar , transformers and MCU movies about a decade ago I always dreamed to work in movies and cg industry and I still have this dream but I didn't had the chance yet .
United States | School of Visual Arts
France | GOBELINS, l'école de l'image
My interest in the entertainment industry begin when I was a child, I remember myself watching tons of cartoons and movies... I guess It was here that it all began!
The following winners made a lasting impression on the judging panel and secured highly sought after badges.
Entries in this category should include content created specifically for use with feature animated films and short films. The content can be photorealistic, but the content must be specific used in fully computer generated films or shorts. Typically content submitted to this category is what you’d expect to see in a Pixar movie. It’s 100% computer generated and can be stylised to look cartoony or even look photorealistic similar to their more recent movies.
- This category is not only for Animators. The term 3D Animation refers to the process of creating content for stylised movies and short films similar to those that Pixar and Dreamworks are famous for. This means that all the following artists are encouraged to enter: Modelers, Texture & Shading, Riggers, Lighters, Animators, Effects TDs, Compositors and more.
- You are allowed to use Game Engines to render your animations such as Unreal Engine.
- Do not submit photorealistic assets and elements that use live action plates. These should be submitted to the Visual Effects category.
- 3D Concept Artists should not submit work to this category. Please submit your work to Concept Art category.
- Ask questions on our Discord Channel if you need help.
- Review Winning Entries from last year that were selected by our judges.
- Watch this video demonstration that shows how to create a perfect entry.
Requirements & Deliveries
- Read the Rules to make sure you are eligible to enter.
- No team entries allowed for this category.
- No professional work may be included in your entry.
- Share your process with the judging panel by including supporting material, not only finished artworks.
- Share examples of your work that showcase your related skills to this category.
The judges are looking for artists that are ready for employment. They are looking for artists with a passion for this category and have worked hard to hone their skills.
The judges will be considering your overall presentation, technical skills, creative skills, variety of content, and employment potential. Treat your entry like a job interview and share your best work to impress the judges.
How to enter
- Click Submit Entry button to create an entry page.
- Upload your best images, videos and supporting media using our entry page builder.
- Select ‘Rookie of the Year > 3D Animation’ as your nominated category.
- Add details including a cover image, title, description, tags, and software used.
- Accept rules and confirm eligibility.
- Confirm & Submit your entry to judging panel.