Rookie Awards 2021 | Rookie of the Year
Entries should include content specifically created for feature animated films/shorts. The key is that all elements should be full CG - environments, characters, set, props, animation and effects.
Entries in this category should include content created specifically for use with feature animated films and short films. The content can be photorealistic, but the content must be specific used in fully computer generated films or shorts. Typically content submitted to this category is what you’d expect to see in a Pixar movie. It’s 100% computer generated and can be stylised to look cartoony or even look photorealistic similar to their more recent movies.
- This category is not only for Animators. The term 3D Animation refers to the process of creating content for stylised movies and short films similar to those that Pixar and Dreamworks are famous for. This means that all the following artists are encouraged to enter: Modelers, Texture & Shading, Riggers, Lighters, Animators, Effects TDs, Compositors and more.
- You are allowed to use Game Engines to render your animations such as Unreal Engine.
- Do not submit photorealistic assets and elements that use live action plates. These should be submitted to the Visual Effects category.
- 3D Concept Artists should not submit work to this category. Please submit your work to Concept Art category.
- Ask questions on our Discord Channel if you need help.
- Review Winning Entries from last year that were selected by our judges.
- Watch this video demonstration that shows how to create a perfect entry.
Requirements & Deliveries
- Read the Rules to make sure you are eligible to enter.
- No team entries allowed for this category.
- No professional work may be included in your entry.
- Share your process with the judging panel by including supporting material, not only finished artworks.
- Share examples of your work that showcase your related skills to this category.
The judges are looking for artists that are ready for employment. They are looking for artists with a passion for this category and have worked hard to hone their skills.
The judges will be considering your overall presentation, technical skills, creative skills, variety of content, and employment potential. Treat your entry like a job interview and share your best work to impress the judges.
How to enter
- Click Submit Entry button to create an entry page.
- Upload your best images, videos and supporting media using our entry page builder.
- Select ‘Rookie of the Year > 3D Animation’ as your nominated category.
- Add details including a cover image, title, description, tags, and software used.
- Accept rules and confirm eligibility.
- Confirm & Submit your entry to judging panel.