Knight Spider Animation Challenge | Skill Level
Advanced - Performance
Animation contest open to members that are comfortable creating a performance in Maya using the Knight Spider rig.
This category is open to members that are comfortable animating a performance on a rig.
- You can animate the character any way you choose.
- You can include additional 3D objects from Adobe Substance 3D Assets to help add interest to your scene.
For those of you looking to get feedback and ask questions about this challenge, please join our Discord channel. Don’t forget to use __#KnightSpiderRig when sharing your work on social channels.
Knight Spider Maya Rig
Please click this following link to download the official Knight Spider Rig.
The team at Dr Reels has created some amazing videos to help you get familiar with the Knight Spider Rig. We highly recommend you watch the following videos before you get started:
- Entries Open 01 October 2021.
- Entries Close 14 January 2022.
- Finalists announced 22 January 2022.
- Winners announced 03 February 2022.
Dates mentioned are at 11:59 pm on the date in question. All dates are based on Greenwich Mean Time (GMT).
Our judging panel will be looking for the best performance. This means that you will need to really bring Spider King to life and show emotion, weight, balance, timing and all the other core principles of animation.
- Do not touch the camera, light setup, background or scene materials.
- You are allowed to add 3D Assets with default shaders from Adobe Substance 3D Assets.
- No audio, judges are only interested in the performance.
- Your animation must be 10 seconds in length @ 24fps.
- Videos must be uploaded to YouTube or Vimeo and embedded to your entry page.
- You must share your progress. This is a Play-by-Play contest that requires you to add multiple updates to your entry page, similar to how a forum discussion works. Learn more about Play-by-Play contests in our Helpdesk..
- Entries that only share a single update will be disqualified.
- 1 x 10 second video rendered using scene camera and default shaders.
- Additional supporting media allowed.
How to Enter
- Download Knight Spider Maya rig
- Download trial version of Maya
- Click Submit Entry button to share your first update.
- Upload images, videos and supporting media using our page builder.
- Add details including a cover image, title, description, tags, and software used.
- Accept rules and confirm eligibility.
- Add Regular Updates to your entry page to share your progress working from idea through to final deliverables.
- Submit Final Video to your entry page that includes the required deliverables mentioned above.
*Include the hashtag #KnightSpiderRig if you share on your social media so we can reshare.