Rookie Awards 2021 | Film of the Year
Looking for the very best in 2D animated short films. The films can be created by both teams and individuals. Trailers and unfinished projects allowed.
On behalf of the sponsors and judges, The Rookies would like to congratulate the following category winners.
You Sold My Rollerskates? (T'as vendu mes rollers ?)
Graduation Film by Margaux Cazal, Jeanne Hammel, Louis Holmes, Sandy Lachkar, Agathe Leroux, Léa Rey--Mauzaize
Synopsis : Treachery! Lou’s mum sold his beloved roller skates at the garage sale. A series of strange and revealing encounters begin when he inevitably goes looking for them in the buzzing crowd.
Antonia, a mellow spoken word poet, has a secret: she’s also notorious pro wrestler Acetoni. Her two lives never intersect--until she accidentally double-books one night.
A man comes home and wants to go to bed. A bunch of noisy roommates. A crowded city in southern China.
Top of the Shelf
After a lifetime of putting away books, an old librarian must face the challenge of placing the very last book at the top of a 10,000-foot tall shelf.
Forgot your Password ? // Short Film
"Forgot your Password ?" is a student 2D/3D animation short film.
"Soraïva, a young adventurer, wants to get in a temple in order to found a treasure. But, she realises that she lost the password of the temple. So, she will pass through some tests to reset it."
Two rival pup scouts face the ulti-mutt mystery of their missing treats. Will these opposites be able to work together to catch the crook or were they barking up the wrong tree to begin with?
PrePAWsterous is a multi-media animation project that combines 2D animation with practical sets and real life camera movement.
Timmy's Monster - 2021 Animated Short Film
The film follows the journey of a boy named Timmy who is born the strongest and tallest out of his siblings. Timmy expects his monster companion to share his same qualities. To his disbelief, he ends up with the tiniest monster possible. With this test against his ego, Timmy must learn to embrace this weakness.
The following winners made a lasting impression on the judging panel and secured highly sought after badges.
The focus for this category is 2D animated short films. The judges are looking for the best films that showcase amazing 2D animation skills combined with story telling. There is no brief or limitations on the type of film you can submit. Get creative and share your best 2D short film.
- Your film must be primarily created using 2D elements. 3D elements may be included, but they must not be the main focus.
- You must submit a completed film or teaser trailer. Single assets and clips will not be considered.
- We accept films currently on the Film Festival Circuit. These films will not be shared publicly, however please include a password that will be securely shared with our judging panel.
- Please include supporting material with your finished film. The judges need to better understand the process, the challenges and how your film was created.
- Team entries are allowed. Make sure that only one team member submits the project and tag any additional team members as project collaborators.
- Films must not have been released prior to June 2020.
- Ask questions on our Discord Channel if you need help.
- Review Winning Entries from last year that were selected by our judges.
- Watch this video demonstration that shows how to create a perfect entry.
Requirements & Deliveries
- Read the Rules to make sure you are eligible to enter.
- No professional work may be included in your entry.
- Share your process with the judging panel by including supporting material, not only finished work.
The judges are looking for artists or teams that have created a film that is not only creatively and technically sound, but also tells a great story. They are looking for artists or teams with a passion for film making and have worked hard to hone their skills. The judges will be considering your overall presentation, technical skills, creative skills and story telling.
How to enter
- Click Submit Entry button to create an entry page.
- Upload your best images, videos and supporting media using our entry page builder.
- Select ‘Film of the Year > 2D Animation’ as your nominated category.
- Add details including a cover image, title, description, tags, and software used.
- Accept rules and confirm eligibility.
- Confirm & Submit your entry to judging panel.