This project is a sort of tribute to Disney's "Wreck-it Ralph": I've been in love with this movie since the first time I saw it when I was a kid, and it has never got me bored. I'm also a big fan of the 80's/90's/00's, so I thought it would be a perfect match for a cool project.
Since it's my first big project ever, it took me a lot of time, especially in terms of organization and optimization, but after figuring it out , I was able to do everything I wanted. I've learned a lot during the process and this helped me realizing a little more what I'd like to do in the future.
Here's the final outcome, which I'm very proud of!
-Texturing: Substance Painter, Photoshop
-Lighting and Rendering: Arnold
-Post Production: After Effect, Photoshop
I tried to keep the models as lowpoly as possible, and this was luckily not so hard because the shapes of the arcades are quite simple.
I took some time for searching a lot of references, to have a clear idea of the details and of how each part of them was exactly built up.
Here are the final results with each reference study:
The texturing process has been the funniest and for sure my favorite one, but also the longest: to speed it up a little bit, I made some smart materials for the objects that I new were going to have the same base but in different colors, such as for the buttons, the screws and the cloches.
Another cool thing that I did was searching for all the original stickers for the side panels, decals, upper panels and screens: for some arcades has been very easy, for others I had to make them by my own cause I wasn't able to find them anywhere.
As well as for the modeling, I followed all the references that I found and this had been super useful because I wanted to reach an as realistic as possible style for the entire project.
Here are some closeups with the smart materials and the stickers:
Layout and Lighting
For the layout and the lighting of the scene, I looked for the shots of the movie. I also have found some of the tests that were made for the original layout, which I've found very useful and interesting: by observing them in various angles and after a couple of tests, I was able to recreate mine.
After having reached a set up that was completely satisfying me, I put the little animations that are played on each screen of the arcades.
Here are the references that I used and a little demonstration of the all process:
Closeups of the final result:
And that's it, thanks for the attention!