Update - 5 Apr 2021
In my spare time, I have been working on improving the realism of the water. Key was to use a smaller particle separation, and layers to give added detail. I have learnt so much about how to optimize a scene and render settings from this project!
I sadly won’t have enough time to finish the other scenes, but I plan to carry on with the project after the submission date!
Update - 5 Mar 2021
To increase the detail in the water and break up the uniform shape (great suggestion in the comments!), I have added another layer to the water sim. This has less particles but roughly follows the same movement as the initial splash sim, giving added detail.
I have also been experimenting with the monsters texture, I am still unsure exactly how I want him to look. The renders so far are still LQ, the water noise and specking should go when I do a final HQ render. As always, any suggestions/advice is appreciated!
Update - 23 Feb 2021
I have been working on getting the water to look more realistic. By decreasing the particle separation and adding white water it’s starting to get there!
I have been working on optimizing the scene as much as possible. Trying to get the balance between realism and a crazy long cache time has been the trickiest part so far. The initial water is also very refelective and shiny, something to change in future versions... Any feedback would be great :)
Update - 10 Feb 2021
The result of my overnight render…
The render and caching of this sim took a while, I am currently looking at optimizing the scene and mantra settings to produce faster results.
The water is looking very ‘blobby’, studying references shows a lot of white water would be formed due to such a fast movement. My next step is to add whitewater, which will improve the overall realism.
Update - 9 Feb 2021
I only recently discovered this competition so am a bit late in starting, but excited to give it a go anyway. It’s been great to work with assets again on a creative brief!
My plan is to have an icy scene, where the monster bursts out from underneath the water. So far I have been experimenting with creating a small ocean setup, and layering on top the splash created by the monster. First time using FLIP in a large scale so its exciting to be learning new skills.
My next step is to do a LQ render of the water to gauge what it looks like, and then I will be adding whitewater and refining the shape.
I am going to focus on the first scene for now and get it looking super realistic.
More updates to come!