For as long as humans have told stories, we’ve dreamed of conquering beasts in uncharted lands. From ancient Greek mythology to modern gaming adventures, we’re captivated by the idea of welding our magical abilities to slay the monster and bring peace to our land. This contest will ask you to tap into that creative spirit by challenging you to develop incredible FX for an epic fight scene.
We want to see your own unique take on this battle for the ages by adding in VFX to make the scene pop. You’re the hero of the FX journey.
You may select a single shot from the trailer or complete the entire trailer, it’s entirely up to you. We are looking for attention to detail, execution, and (most importantly) a ‘WOW!’ factor that leaves us speechless.
The winner of this epic duel will receive a prize worthy of a true VFX champion.
- Open for submission 15th December 2020
- Entries close 15th April 2021.
- Finalists Announced 22nd April 2021
- Winners announced 26th April 2021.
- Dates mentioned are at 11:59 pm on the date in question.
- All dates are based on GMT.
- No modifications are allowed to the provided models.
- No modifications to the animation.
- You can use any software to create and render your FX.
- You must share your progress. This is a Play-by-Play contest that requires you to add multiple updates to your entry page, similar to how a forum discussion works. Learn more about Play-by-Play contests in our Helpdesk.. Entries that only upload a single update will not be considered.
Entrants must submit at least 200 frames of rendered FX work (1280x600 minimum resolution). The render should incorporate at least one entire shot from the trailer. You do not have to render the entire scene, but it is encouraged. You may use any software of your choice.
How to Enter
- Watch these 3 videos to get a complete brief on what you need to do for this competition.
- The Creative Brief
- Contest Overview
- How to make your entry stand out
- Get the complete asset pack. Download from here.
- Add FX to the provided assets. The design brief is wide open and only limited by your imagination.
- Share your progress and update entry multiple times.
- Upload final renders with The Rookies logo in your last update.
- Include the hashtag #rebelwayfxChallenge if you share on your social media so we can reshare your work.
- Join our Discord channel to ask questions and get feedback about this contest.