- Open for submission 15th December 2020
- Entries close 15th April 2021.
- Finalists Announced 22nd April 2021
- Winners announced 26th April 2021.
- Dates mentioned are at 11:59 pm on the date in question.
- All dates are based on GMT.
To enter the Contest, you (the Artist) must be an amateur artist with less than 1 year of professional experience in the visual effects industry.
In other words, you are not eligible if you have been employed and paid as a professional artist for a combined period of more than 1 year in a field that is closely related to the subject matter of the contest.
Exceptions to this rule are paid internships which do not contribute to your combined period of professional experience. The intent and spirit of this rule is to ensure you have not gained unfair advantage over other competitors. There will always be complicated use cases, so please contact the organizer if you’d like your eligibility reviewed.
How to enter
A few simple steps:
- Watch these 3 videos to get a complete brief on what you need to do for this competition.
- The Creative Brief
- Contest Overview
- How to make your entry stand out
- Get the complete asset pack. Download from here.
- Add FX to the provided assets. The design brief is wide open and only limited by your imagination.
- Share your progress and update entry multiple times.
- Upload final renders with The Rookies logo in your last update.
- Include the hashtag #rebelwayfxChallenge if you share on your social media so we can reshare your work.
- Join our Discord channel to ask questions and get feedback about this contest.
The Artist must submit an entry directly to our contest. Only entries that are submitted here will be reviewed by our judging panel and considered an official entry.
Please note: Projects submitted to The Artists portfolio will not be considered as an official entry. You need to submit a separate entry for the challenge
- No modifications are allowed to the provided models.
- You can use any software to create and render your FX.
- You must share your progress. This is a Play-by-Play contest that requires you to add multiple updates to your entry page, similar to how a forum discussion works. Learn more about Play-by-Play contests in our Helpdesk.. Entries that only upload a single update will not be considered.
Guarantee of the Artist
The Artist guarantees to The Organiser that:
- The submitted media (images, videos, 3D models, code) were made by the Artist.
- All work is original and that you have the right or authority to enter and publish. The Artist must clearly state if they have included third party images, media or reference as part of their entry. This content is allowed and will be reviewed accordingly.
- By submitting your project you agree for Rebelway to share your project with our online community.
- All details submitted by the Artist are true and correct, and the Artist indemnifies from and against any and all claims and demands made against The Organiser, its assignees or licensees, in relation to the guarantees provided by the Artist in these rules.
- All FX work must be done by you and not obtained by any 3rd party.
- You can use any software for this challenge.
- You may not modify any aspect of the mesh template.
- You may not modify any of the animation .
- Entrants must submit at least 200 frames of rendered FX work (1280x600 minimum resolution).
- The render should incorporate at least one entire shot from the trailer. You do not have to render the entire scene, but it is encouraged.
- You are limited to 1 submission per artist.
The Process - we want to see your process from start to finish. This contest uses the Play by Play project builder which means you can share every little update similar to a forum.
The judges will be looking for entrants that show great technical and creative skills. The judges will also be looking for entries that share regular updates and get involved in the community.
We are looking for attention to detail, execution, and (most importantly) a ‘WOW!’ factor that leaves us speechless.
Prizes are non-transferable and must be accepted as awarded. No cash or other substitution may be made.
The Contest Sponsors will send prizes directly to winners in a timely manner at the completion of the Contest.
Any content submitted by teams, third-party vendors, educational facilities, studios or non-amateur artists (anyone with more than 12 months professional employment) will be immediately removed from the Contest. The Organiser reserves the right, in their sole discretion, to cancel, modify or suspend any related content on the site.
The Organiser reserves the right, in their sole discretion, to cancel, modify or suspend an Artist if they believe they have too much professional experience (No more than 12 monhts) in any field that puts them at an unfair advantage to other Artists.
The Organiser reserves the right, in their sole discretion, to cancel, modify or suspend the Contest should virus, bugs, unauthorised human intervention, technical failures or any other factor beyond or
The Organiser’ reasonable control corrupt the administration, security, fairness, integrity or proper operation of the awards.
Any media content deemed to contain content that depicts explicit acts that are overtly violent, sexual, cruel or brutal will be disqualified. Such entries may, at The Organiser’ sole discretion, be closed at any time during the event.
Employees of Contest Sponsors and The Organiser are not eligible to enter this event.
Each Winner will be notified by email at the completion of the Contest.
The entrant is responsible for entering their correct email address at the time of submission and prizes may be forfeited if the entrant cannot be contacted or their identity cannot be verified.
Once notified of winning, the Winner will have three weeks in which to claim your prize. Failure to respond within this time period will result in forfeiture of the prize although The Organiser will make reasonable efforts to contact the winner to ensure this does not happen.
The Organiser reserves the right to forfeit a prize if not claimed.
Participation constitutes the Entrant’s full and unconditional agreement to and acceptance of these Official Rules and our Terms & Conditions. By participating in the Contest, The Artist is representing and warranting that he/she has read and understood, and agrees to be bound by, these rules. Including the guides and rules referred to herein, these Official Rules constitute the entire agreement between The Artist and The Organiser in relation to the Contest. They govern the Entrant’s participation and supersede any prior or other agreements between The Artist and The Organiser and relating to the Contest.
In no event will The Organiser, and or their parents, affiliates, subsidiaries and related companies, their advertising or promotion agencies or their respective officers, directors, employees, representatives and agents, be responsible or liable for any damages or losses of any kind, including direct, indirect, incidental, consequential or punitive damages arising from access to, or use of, this web site, electronic or computer malfunctions, or entrant participation in this contest, even if The Organiser has been advised of the possibility of such damages.