Join our Discord server to meet other Rookies!
Confectionary Fairy Mooncake Dragon Turtle
Share  

Confectionary Fairy Mooncake Dragon Turtle

Jasmine Ashley Goh
by AshRin on 26 Apr 2022 for Rookie Awards 2022

This is the model I did for my Foundation semester 3 project. It's a mooncake fairy dragon turtle. It's modelled after by an illustration from ぽん吉 (@PonkichiM). The blocking has been done in Maya and the sculpt process, in Zbrush. It was my first time using Zbrush, and this project overall, took me 14 weeks to finish.

1 393 0
Round of applause for our sponsors

The beauty render in Maya, using Arnold renderer

Basically, this is the blocking progress I did in Maya during week 1,2 and 3, I tried to get the feel of the head and the fur around it's neck. Once I've gotten the basic structure, I brought it to Zbrush for the first time. I tried to smooth out the sharp edges on the head and fur first.

During week 4, I sculpted the design on the tail as well the mouth. I also started to sculpt the eye area bit by bit.

During week 5 to 7, I worked on making the face and nose area more rounder and more chubby. I did some sculpting on the legs as well. I put some volume in the cheeks and the bottom of the jaw. I also experimented with various brushes, alphas and technique to achieve the sculpt I wanted, especially for the tail and fur around the neck.

By week 8 and 9, the model is close to being ready to color. I adjusted the tail a little bit, making it more curvier. Then, I begin to color my model using Zbrush polypaint function. Because it's main design is based off a mooncake, I went ahead and colored it in a beige brownish color, which is considered the common colors of a mooncake. I also gave the edges of the fur and tail some shading to show depth. 

During week 10 and 11, I begin to test render my model so I could determine which light worked the best. I did one render using Zbrush render (The lower image) and another two in Maya, using Arnold renderer. I tried two different lightings in Maya, one is using a more orange tint light and another is using a white light.

By week 12, I posed the model in Zbrush and exported it to Maya to render. I also  did a simple base in Zbrush to compliment the model. 

During week 13, I rendered the model and lights separately using Maya render passes so I could have more control during the composition process.  Using this composition, I hope I am able to showcase the environment where the creature can be found roaming and living.  

These are some additional images that I saved during the 14 weeks progress of this model. It consist of the flat colors, the A/T pose and the chosen pose.

 It was a long journey, using Zbrush for the first time is a bit challenging,  but it was very fun too! I hope this adorable looking creature is able to show you how much I've loved working on this project!


Comments (0)

This project doesn't have any comments yet.