Rookie Awards 2024 - New Contest Coming Soon!
Hongkong Inspired Street
Share

Hongkong Inspired Street

by TanjaDoes3D on 26 Nov 2023

My biggest project yet and also my first time using Unreal Engine 5. This scene was created from scratch, all assets were made by me. I wanted to improve and learn as much as possible from this scene and used a variety of workflows and programs to create it.

9 326 0
Round of applause for our sponsors

Flythrough and Screenshots

The modules I did for my scene were created using Trim Sheets and tiling textures. My goal was to create a set with high flexibility so I can create many different variations. The props were scattered all around the house fronts to make them more interesting and create even more variation.


Since the shop fronts only appeared once within the scene, I decided to make them unique so I can give them more detail. They all got a mixture of unique textures and tiling textures.

To fill up the scene I created a big amount of different props. I followed a Low- to Highpoly Workflow most of the time and textured them in Substance Painter. With my Master Material in UE5 I was able to recolor some of the assets within the engine so I could create more variations.

Since the signs were very big in size, I had to go for a combination of unique texturing for the writing and tiling textures for the metal parts of the signs.

Decals were very important to give my scene a grungy and urban look. I either created Decals using Photoshop and Substance Sampler or by modelling them and baking them on a plane.

Most of the tiling textures were created using Substance Designer.

I wanted my trims to look used and realistic. I used a trim sheet for the texture and some of the normal details. To amplify the edge damage, I used Mesh Decals with edge damage that I sculpted in zBrush. That way I could customize different trims and pillars with edge damage as needed.


Creating a Master Material was very important since the scene was quite big. I implemented HSL, UV and Normal Adjusts to create more variation or adjust the tiling of my materials. I also added Detail Normals and RGB Masks to get a higher detail.


Here is an example of how I used my Master to create variations and adjust my modules and their textures.

Since the street of my environment consists of a landscape mixed with extra meshes to create the asphalt plates and also meshes for the sidewalk, I couldn't use RVT's for every area. That's why I mixed these techniques so I can scatter sandpiles on all kinds of surfaces.


This was by far my biggest project yet and I learned a lot. Big thanks to Marika Schanz who provided me with feedback and also a beautiful piece of music for my flythrough.

I hope everyone enjoys my environment, feel free to tell me what you think !


Comments (0)

This project doesn't have any comments yet.