Substance 3D has released a new offer on the Adobe platform which gives students free access to all Substance apps. We’re so excited about this announcement that we have teamed up with Adobe to create a Robot Challenge, where you’ll be challenged to showcase your best 3D skills by creating your very own loveable robot character.
Featuring in animated cartoons and traditional manga, robots like Optimus Prime, Voltron, and Astroganger are cemented in popular culture since the early 60’s. In time, they became cuter and more loveable — like Disney’s Wall-e and Baymax.
Taking inspiration from robotic characters young and old, we challenge you to create your own lovable and cartoony robot that will capture your audience’s affection.
- You must share regular updates of your progress to your entry page.
- You are required to demonstrate your 3D skills using at least ONE of the Adobe Substance 3D apps: Painter, Designer, Sampler, Stager, Modeler
- Only submit 1 entry that is a new and original project
- You can use additional tools eg:Maya, Blender, ZBrush
- Only minimal post production work is allowed
- No third-party models/assets can be used
- You can reference another artist’s concept art, but make sure to ask permission and credit their work before starting
- You can create a background environment or platform to help with the story telling.
- Include the hashtag #Substance3DRobotChallenge if you share on your social media.
Prizes & Awards
We are giving away US$4,500 in cash, Adobe Creative Cloud Subscriptions, and Wacom Tablets to the entries that the judges love the most. You can check out the full prize list here. We have a bunch of highly sort after contest badges to award, plus a shiny new one-off design just for this contest.
- Entries Open 6th October, 2022
- Entries Close 25th November, 2022
- Finalists announced 1st December, 2022
- Winners announced 14h December, 2022
Dates mentioned are at 11:59 pm on the date in question. All dates are based on Greenwich Mean Time (GMT).
- You must be an aspiring student, self-taught artist, or hobbyist with a passion for creative media.
- You must have less than 12 months professional experience in a 3D related field.
- For further information please read the rules. Don’t worry, there isn’t too much lawyer talk in there.
- Minimum 1 x render of your robot character. Ideal rendering resolution: 4096 x 2160 pixels. Minimum resolution: 1920 x 1080 pixels.
- Include the Rookies Logo somewhere on your final renders.
Training & Support
To help you get up to speed with Adobe Substance 3D, here is a link to a wealth of tutorials. In here, you’ll find guidance, from foundational skills through to advanced knowledge.
Watch this video for a contest overview and an example of what we are looking for in an entry.
For some creative inspiration, watch this short series by one of our judges, Pablo Gomez, on How to Create a Quirky Robot Character.
Make sure to join our Discord server to participate in live review sessions, watch special guest webinars, chat with other entrants, and to have all of your questions answered.
- Download the Substance apps.
- Click Submit Contest Entry button below to start building your entry page using link below.
- Upload images, videos and supporting media using our page builder.
- Add details including a cover image, title, description, tags, and software used.
- Add Regular Progress Updates to your entry page to show your progress working from idea through to final deliverables.
- Upload final renders to your entry page.