Ministry of Magic
hello everyone, My name is Carlos Lopez, and this is a fan made 3d Environment project inspired by the Ministry of Magic in Harry Potter.
I created everything in the scene using the same game pipeline for practice and going back doing lighting passes in the Unreal Engine. I used the following workflow:
- Looking for references, concepts and inspiration
- Creating a detailed mid-poly using Maya
- Creating the High-Poly in ZBrush
- Creating the Low-Poly in Maya
- Unwrap in Maya
- Baking and Texturing in Substance Painter
-Creating Trim sheets and Tillable textures, that can be used to great effect saving time
- Realtime Rendering in Unreal Engine
This was a great and exciting project to have worked on and I loved every undertaking challenge in this scene, such as understanding the scalability making sure it was the right size with the player size, I purposely did make the scene bigger in general to incase the power, and elegance of the Ministry while still staying true to the original design.
taking on the lighting was another big one for me as it's one of those things that can be easy to place in your scene but it can also get very complex quickly in order to execute the mood you are shooting for in your composition.
As an artist, I had to make the decision to know when to call it done, even though we can always keep adding more. So I'm proud of this and it'll serve as a good experience for projects to come.
fountain located in the Atrium of the Ministry of Magic that depicted the golden figures of a wizard, centaur, goblin, and a house-elf.
MAKING THE PROPS
here is a video fully showcasing my Environment
My reference board using Puref
Some further work on a Sci-Fi environment I was building up. trying to get a horror aspect to it. I used the same workflow as the last project, attempting to doing a lot more of my work with trims and Modular assets, to create the entire environment. my inspiration was definitely between Dead Space and Alien Isolation. two great games as I try to blend it together into my scene.
when thinking of making a modular kit, I had to think of the ideal space i wanted, and I would use the unreal engine male character for scaling. I wanted to make the rooms, and hall feel somewhat claustrophobic. when reaching bigger areas i still wanted the feel of tension that could be lurking around the corner.
i created a total of 3 walls with interchangeable pieces and tiles that can be used to differentiate the walls.
4 floor pieces that can connect with each other in any way. 2 roofs with interchangeable pieces as well.
of course some pipes and cables to break up any symmetry.
this curved hall was done using a new wall piece, and i interchanged some reused roof pieces with the wall pieces, creating a new hall.
this was a small video i made for my scifi Scene trying to capture a recording of the horror aboard the space station
thank you so much for looking at everything. It's always fun working on these Personal Projects, and learning something new every step of the way.
famous quote that gets me through these projects is " Don't count the days, make the days count."
always pumps me up for the next thing to come.