The Owl House Interior
Share

The Owl House Interior

by littlelamb on 16 Nov 2021

I created this work for the ‘Modelling and Visualisation’ class at BBCD/TUA in late 2020. The project aimed to teach modelling and texturing skills through developing an interior of your choice. I decided on The Owl House’s main room, revisiting it recently to incorporate my updated skills learnt over the past year.

1 111 0
Round of applause for our sponsors

The Owl House is a highly stylised 2D cartoon. Rather than trying to mimic the iconic style in 3D, I thought this project would be fun to approach in semi-realism way. I took into account spacing and real-world sizing; using Maya’s measure tool and researching the average size of objects/heavily referencing the show. 

2020 Renders

While I was happy with the overall spacing and foundation of my original project, textures were applied wrong, objects could be modelled better and the lighting wasn’t quite depicting the mood I wanted for the scene. 

New Renders

I mainly used hard-surface modelling techniques in Maya, but explored Blender's sculpting for some wall objects (particularly the cow skull). Textures created in Substance Painter and Photoshop. For lighting I wanted to maintain the spookiness of the room; candle placement on the ceiling beams were a key factor in breaking apart the room and why there is a "dip" of darkness in the middle of the wall (as seen in the show). Also in consideration the stain glass windows that would be providing light. I chose for the windows not to bleed too much into the room as the rainbow scattering took away from the creepiness. 

In compositing stages, I was worried the gamma was too dark. Close-up, the wall objects were a bit unreadable, but from a distance the carpet was bright. Definitely something to consider when lighting in future projects! 

Final > Beauty > AO > Wireframe

I used NukeX 3D camera tracking to place in the cotton tuft on the couch and the fire for the candles. My attempt at Idistort in different class was unsuccessful, so I was determined to try again. After a bit of playing around I managed to get the flames to distort! It’s not very noticeable in the grand scheme of things, but I’m proud of getting it to work!

Thank you for reading!


Comments (0)

This project doesn't have any comments yet.