Giant Texturing
Share

Giant Texturing

Daniel Rodriguez Cadena
by danielrdzcadena on 29 Jul 2021

This was a 6 weeks project at thinktankt were the assignment was to texture a giant model that was provided by the school.

1 156 0
Round of applause for our sponsors

For this project I used a model provided by my school in a Zbrush file with the giant posed. The goal was to texture the character following a production pipeline

Before starting to texture the creature I started with the references. For this I decided to be very specific in some aspects in order to have a clear vision on how i wanted the character to look in the end.
First i gathered a lot of references, extracted the color palette from one reference that i wanted to use, and made a quick and lose polypaint test in zbrush to make sure the colors worked the way I wanted.

Then I started setting up the character for Mari texturing by creating utility maps like AO, Curvature, and thickness and exporting them as user channels

After i extracted the utility maps from substance I extracted and processed some other textures in photoshop in order to get more details from the mesh.

Since this texturing proyect is using a udim workflow and different images needed to have the exact same changes to be made, I made some actions and saved them in photoshop so that later on those actions could be batched and made the same to every single image. 

Once i had those maps ready i needed textures to make projections and tileables, so for this i looked for images for texturing and processed them in photohshop in order to be able to use them in Mari projections.

I repeated this process in order to have a small library of textures and masks for this project

For the Texturing process I started with painting the diffuse channel and from those layers and masks later on I sent them into different channels to work the skin colors as specular variations and Masks for lookDev

BumpMap

SpecRoughness

SSRadius

SSScale

Masks

Once everything I had all my masks and textures done I exported a mask for the darker spots in the back of the character to use it as mask in zbrush so that i could exagerate those marks and have those details showing more in the displacement map

Before and after

After exporting my new displacement details from zbrush I started setting un my materials in a Vray Blend mtl in order to have more control in the different surfaces of the skin.

And after all this process was done this was the end result


Comments (0)

This project doesn't have any comments yet.