Weekly Drills: Magical Potions
This is my entry for the magic potion themed weekly drill, I decided to model 3 different potions as well as design an environment for them.
This is my entry for the magic potion themed weekly drill, I decided to model 3 different potions as well as design an environment for them. I runned out of time so I could fix the noise in the lights from the background as well as some of the details in the scenery involving some textures.
I tried to document as much of the process as possible to show how and why I decided to do some things
I used Maya and MudBox for the modeling; Substance Painter, Texture Haven and Quixel Mega Scans for the texturing; I used some Mega Scans for the Background and the Scenery and rendered all in Arnold inside Maya.
Before I started modeling I googled some images to use as inspiration or as concept art
I really liked the idea of using a skull as a lid as well as the flower like ivy’s that wrapped the light blue tall potion of the last reference image
Then I decided to do a first version to se how my ideas would look
I decided to do a classically drop shaped potion, a sort of fancy tall one with a spiraled lid and a diamond like potion
To make the ivy’s for the tall potion I decided to use the quad draw tool from Maya to be able to hand draw the shape I wanted while keeping the cylindrical shape. Then I used the same trick to do the details in the green drop like potion
I wasn’t happy with the way the cork lid fitted the green potion ass well as some other details so I proceeded to modify and make a second version of the potions, this time adding the skull lid to the diamond like potion
The skull lid was modeled in MudBox
Then I went into Substance Painter to make the finer details and textures for the potions, I decided to use a silver like metal for the blue potion, gold for the green potion and a darker steel for the red potion. For the skull I decided to add a pattern similar to marble veins into the metal, to give it a more sinister look
Then I decided to add a background, so I went for a dark witch’s hut in the middle of the forest, I added a jar of Wisps as well as some Mega Scans from Quixel to make the scene feel full and realistic.
The trees I used in the background are from the assets found inside of Maya, I only had to tweak some of the textures and transfer them into a aistandardmaterial so it would work well with Arnold.
I then went back to fix some issues with the lighting and ended up with the final submission