Cipher Disk in the Sand
This was a collaborative project with Malte Schabram who simulated the sand animation. I was responsible for modeling, texturing, and the lighting setup. We used Maya, Houdini, Substance Painter, Arnold, Nuke, and After Effects.
Since I modeled the cipher disk for the 3rd Weekly Drill (April 2020) my part in this collaborative project was merely to improve the textures and do the lighting setup.
In order for the simulation to be as exact as possible, we had to subdivide the disk once.
Exporting from Houdini resulted in the issue that Maya had trouble calculating motion blur since apparently the motion vector data got lost. We couldn't find a way to tell Arnold to use "per point velocity" values so we used After Effects' motion blur capabilities instead.