Rebelway VFX Challenge
  Play by Play

Rebelway VFX Challenge

by paulrlockhart on 7 Jan 2021 for Rebelway FX Challenge

This is my entry for The Rookies - Rebelway VFX Challenge.

1 377 0
Round of applause for our sponsors

Update - 6 Jan 2021

I have started coming up with ideas for the hero shield. This is currently my favorite of what I have produced.  

Comments (0)

This project doesn't have any comments yet.

Update - 27 Dec 2020

I wanted to have the monster bursting out of a lava lake and have completed a couple of test fluid simulations.

I found that increasing the number of spray particles really added to the simulation. This bake took 24 hours to complete. I may go back and do another bake at a higher resolution and perhaps more spray particles.

Update - 22 Dec 2020

Hi, my name is Paul and this is my entry for The Rookies - Rebelway FX Challenge.

This is my first competition entry for The Rookies and I am really looking forward to getting stuck in with my entry.

I will be using mostly Blender as I am most familiar with this software but I will also use Houdini as I want to learn more of it.

In this first entry I wanted to establish the environment as this would have an impact on the style of the FX.

My original idea was to have a swamp theme. However after doing some test simulations the amount of time it would take to bake what I wanted would take days and days.

I therefore decided to go for a lava theme as I could bake at a lower resolution and save time.

I really like the third image above with a mix of lava and scifi industrial theme. 

I have started creating the environment and quickly added some material to the monster to get started.