Update - 6 Oct 2020
Okay, everything is in place and I'm happy with the end result.
It was a great opportunity to learn something new and I definitely did that, so thanks. Thanks also for all High Fives, even if there are not much of them, I'm grateful ;)
I also realised that I need to upgrade my PC... This electronic box is actually holding me back but it is good to know how important the computer's processing power is.
In this case, there would not be this project without a message, so do not throw away the rubbish wherever it falls... because the Nature will get you :P
Cam_Front and Cam_3quarterLF renders (4096x2160 jpg):
Cam_Front and Cam_3quarterLF renders (1920x1080 png):
Additional renders (1920x1080 png):
Update - 5 Oct 2020
A few corrections to conclude whole project. Tomorrow I will upload my final renders.
Normal + Height / Roughness / Metalic:
Update - 4 Oct 2020
Still fixing the roots and other issues that I don't like... Even if I'm really happy with how it is coming together I'm still a perfectionist ;P
I have also corrected some of the previous descriptions to make them more accurate (talking about perfectionism...).
Update - 2 Oct 2020
A few more steps more before the weekend, not much, but still I'm impressed that my computer didn't explode... I'm slowly fixing the height map for the roots around the robot and it already looks much better.
And I really have to say that I have fun with this... I'm doing this for the first time and... really... muahaha! :D
Update - 1 Oct 2020
Okay, really small update, with few more technical details, but I will not be putting more on the body... I don't want to disturb the whole concept with an over-detailed look. I'm not really happy about the arm part that looks like a vambrace (arm-guard)... I need to think what to do with it.
I started to do something more for tomorrow's update and you can spot it if you look carefully ;)
Update - 30 Sep 2020
It's time for some details. I'm using for this a combination of hard surface details for normal map and height map and colour painting. What I'm trying to do with this is to obtain an illusion of mechanical parts that are actually interacting with each other - hands and legs are perfect for this. There is always a lot of it, especially around joints.
I also changed colour of its upper legs parts to dark green... I wasn't happy about the previous colour from the very beginning, now I am ;)
Update - 29 Sep 2020
Finally all colours are in place, but of course they may change before I finish everything. I backed a curvature map from the same model ("Eddie.fbx") to get at least a small effect of wiped edges and there is some, so it's okay.
I duplicated a layer with blue circuits and converted it into a height map, now it's slightly concave.
I was also wondering if I should change the colour around the eyes to dark green, but I didn't, it would give this robot more dangerous look, and I don't want that.
Update - 28 Sep 2020
As a next step, I added glowing elements, mimicking fluid (green) and circuits (blue). I have also decided to include stickers into this update. For one of them I created an alpha and for the second, I changed my choice to a slightly different sign because I thought an ionizing radiation warning would fit better.
Update - 26 Sep 2020
Further development, this time I painted the roots and added paint to the body and head, which are to be plastic elements. There is a lack of detail, but this will come later… 😉
Update - 23 Sep 2020
Time for the first update of my project.
I started with a height painting to mimic the shape of roots and cracks. I added three layers (two for roots, one for cracks), and I'm not sure if I will be able to add more, time will tell. I have also placed a few hard-surface details.
Nevertheless, it looks quite decent and I'm happy with the result so far.