Rookie Awards 2022 is open for submissions. Click here.
Medieval Market & Art Test Module
Share  

Medieval Market & Art Test Module

by andrewhunt on 1 Jun 2020 for Rookie Awards 2020

These are two projects I had created in the build up both helped influence the other. The main focus however is with the medieval market dock.

0 146 0
Round of applause for our sponsors

My Final Major Project from University & My Art Test Module

First Project - Art Test - This helped me explore use of tiling texures to create a multi-faceted environmental piece, as well as use some high poly modelling techniques for the generator. Also first use of damage decals for the wood.

Final Tri-count (With Generators) = 24,649 Tris

Barrel - 508 Tris

All of the tiling textures (all following PBR workflows) - all bar the bricks done in Substance Designer.

Wood Edge Damage added via Normal map Damage Decal (seen in the decal sheet in the top left of the unique texture screengrab)

Generator completed by making a high poly in 3ds max, the base of the windmill was accomplished by merging the trim sheet with the tiling metal textures, as well as the barrel texture as I wanted it to feel thrown together instead of a pre-designed asset for the use of windmill.

Final Project - Medieval Docks

For this project I wanted to focus on what I learned from the previous but look towards more accuracy as well as expand my horizons with designer. Also helped me learn more techniques for more nature based asset creation.

From blockout to completion. A lot changed, especially the gatehouse which I changed to be smaller and more accurate to a dock gatehouse (inspired by Southampton's gatehouses) and also opened up the beach to allow the overall space to breathe a bit more.

Buildings were based on real world technqiues used in Medieval times to construct their buildings. 

Example of the tiling terrain textures I created for this project, ultimately I made the seaweed a decal for more unique placement and had to scrap the pebbles (which if I had more time would have added as a mesh), altered the roughness in UE4 to accomplish the "wet sand" effect and also save on texture space by not creating two roughness maps.

The optimisation of this scene was a major point I set out to do, so for example I made sure the rope texture was just a 64x64 tiling to allow for less used textures but still kept to the overall scene texel density. Also things like smaller props such as the crates, barrels etc. all shared the same trim sheet. This allowed for quick asset creation whilst keeping it optimised.

For the Veg I created a low poly in 3ds max, sculpted them in Zbrush and baked in Painter. I also used an actual cabbage leaf image and applied it over the top of the cabbage to give it more texture. The carrot stem was accomplished by taking an image of a carrot leaf and adding it in via opacity map.

Finally for the fish I used image references to help model and texture the final assets. 

For the wattle and daub panelling I used vertex painting, this was done by a height lerp in UE4 between the daub material and more exposed wattle texture. Height lerp was also used for the castle bricks seen in the background.


Comments (0)

This project doesn't have any comments yet.