3D game modelling (dioramas/asset)
This submission covers some of my artwork I have done over a course of a year, both as personal and university projects. Stylised work is something I particularly enjoy and want to get good at :) Thank you for the time spent viewing my entry.
Diorama - "Catch of the day"
This one was an university assignment, where the only real task was to create a good-looking diorama.
I personally love the style of World of Warcraft, so that was my first thought to make something that would be inspired by its art. Then it took me some time to find an inspiration for the actual theme, which honestly came quite unexpectedly. I randomly found an image of a whale heart and it made me think that it would be a perfect "item" to use in the diorama. Afterwards I started researching a bit more, to come up with the idea for a fisherwoman riding a tiger, who has also caught a whale and took its heart.
It sounded like a fun thing to do, so I decided to take the challege and make it. The modelling was done in Autodesk Maya, then textured in Mudbox/Photoshop. This project actually allowed me to use Mudbox and learn how to use it for painting, as I have never really used it like that before.
3D modelling in Maya.
Despite there being no polygon limits on the diorama, I gave myself a challenge to make them quite low poly to train myself in making better game-ready assets. I'm particularly proud with the tiger, as the shape is quite defined with not that many polys.
Texturing in Mudbox/Photoshop.
The models are hand painted, with me jumping between the programs to make it easier.
The first 2 are tree barks made in Substance Designer, the foliage was hand painted in Photoshop. Both were combined in Tree.it to make the trees.
Here is the foliage I have done, with some of them being made in Tree.it, some in Maya.
The first two materials are dirt and grass I have made in Substance Designer, I blended them together in Unreal Engine 4 to create a path. Also showing the rest of the foliage - here: grass clumps.
The first image is showing my idea and the images that inspired me. Next to it images showing a photobash I have made to clarify my vision. On the right some greyboxing with light to check out how the scene would look. The last image shows my first combining of the assets in the Engine.
I generally first planned to expand the scene to include a beach with a killed whale on it, but I decided to give up the idea to fully focus on the area around the fisherwoman and the tiger.
Diorama - "Holy room of prayers"
This one is my Submission for the Sumo Digital Rising Star 2020 - Environmental Challenge.
The idea came from my desire to make a scene with strong, atmospheric light. I wanted to convey a specific mood and feel to the whole work, one of spirituality and peace. A church seemed like a perfect place for that, especially with its stained-glass windows. I was aware of time limits, especially balancing this contest with my university assignments, therefore I decided to make a scene that is small, but polished. This is when I came up with an idea to make a small prayer room, where the book of prayers would be the focal point.
Modelling was done in Maya.
I have used curves to make the book, which was a good choice.
I have also done some mistakes here that now, further into my education I see, which is that I could have made the wall modular or could decrease the poly count on the objects. From those sorts of mistakes I have learnt a lot, so the whole scene in general helped me to advance.
Texturing in Substance Painter
Making wall and floor textures in Substance Designer.
Here you can see some of the early parts of the project.
The first image is a sketch I have done for the initial layout of the scene. It is proceeded by my concept sketches I have done. Next is a rough blockout of the scene and light test, with the last image being a coloured version of the stained-glass window I then used to make it.
"Hero" prop - "The Pride chest"
This one is a personal project I have done really recently. I wanted to make a relatively polished item, so I took my time to research what sort of design I want to go for. I thought of combining it with the pride sin theme, which turned out to be quite a fun challenge.
When I thought about pride, I got some ideas about a lion, a king, through research I have found some small details about the topic, like that colour purple is associated with pride.
I have leart quite a lot from it through research and problem fixing (automatic unwrap in Substance Painter gave me a lot of issues...). Also I have learnt what is wrong with my piece and what to improve on for the future.
Initially, the cloth was meant to be a blue (kind of godly?) cloth that is stained with blood (to emphasise the sin part), but I decided to drop this idea for the visual improvement - a red cloth fitted the item better.
The first 3 images show the decimated version that has been taken to Blender for cleanup (especially the cloth was a bit messy).
The 2 middle images are in Substance Painter, the "low poly" asset with baked maps.
The last images show the textured chest in Substance Painter.
On the left, 2 images of modelling in Blender. I want to be able to use both Maya and Blender, so I treated this piece as a good practice (especially since my university uses Maya). It is a rough blockout that I have then taken into Zbrush to sculpt.
The next 2 images show the final sculpt of the chest.
The last images show my result of learning how to decimate in Zbrush. I would usually manually retopologise assets, but wanted to give this different pipeline a go.
Below you can see a rough concept art I have made for the project, breaking down the materials I wanted it to have in specific parts. I have given up some of the details and replaced them with different.
The sketches are my research and some rough studies of the separate parts of the chest as well as the ornamental designs.