Making of “Chalet in Madrid”
First and final project I made in Master in 3d interior design, virtual reality and hyper-realistic infographics with V-Ray, 3DsMax and Unreal Engine, for CICE La escuela profesional de nuevas tecnologías.
Thank you for giving me the space to show my first project, I am really excited to present my first project done on 3D and the making of it here. I would like to take the opportunity to also thank CICE, “La Escuela Profesional de Nuevas Tecnologías de Madrid”, whose corrections and comments inspire me to achieve better results.
This particular house is located in the heart of a new neighborhood in Madrid. For the design, I tried to create the perfect house for a modern couple, and for anyone who wants a corner for themselves and the connection with nature.
The house was designed as a single space using furniture to separate different spaces; therefore, I combined a series of classic and contemporary furniture together with a modern colour palette to create contrast.
This is de mood-board I created.
However, I would like to emphasize the methods and techniques used in this project.
Here you can see the architectural plans I made in Autocad and two main views made in 3DsMax and Vray.
exterior view towards living room and dining room
exterior view to living room and bedroom
For this environment, I did not make any particular thing about the modeling. I took the structure of the floor-plan in 2d, and I model according to it.
model (clay + edged faces)
2.0-Texturin and materials
The floor was made with the plugin floor generator with the same measures as the original tiles of Peronda Ceramics.
Being honest, for this material I used so many maps, this could be simplified for sure, but I wanted each tile to be unique; each one with its diffuse, bump and glossiness map different.
The ceiling is also done with floor generator, but as the wood texture I wanted to use was very dark, it was not necessary to use as much as textures as in the previous case.
For the walls I wanted a polished concrete, but with signs of aging and moisture. As I didn’t had it on my library, I had to make it on Substance Designer.
The light was divided into 3 groups
• Environment light.
• General artificial light.
In this way, it was better to set a good light for the scene without letting it dull or flat. In general, I think it is good to set up those 3 groups in parts. You have full control of what you are doing, like the intensity and color of the lights.
Moreover, I set the color contrast between the cold tone coming from the environment and the warm general interior light together with the spotlights.
The day-lighting was done with "3DCollective_HDRi_022_1722_+8_4K" which it’s perfect for overcast interior scenes. For the exteriors I used one of nightfall.
At the master, I used V-Ray Next. The settings in V-ray are really straightforward. Almost everything is set as default, as you can see. I also added some render elements in case I needed them for postproduction.
5.0- Post production
Usually, the image is saved already in a non-linear way from the frame buffer. V-Ray tools in the framebuffer are powerful, so massive changes in Photoshop are not necessarily needed. Just some color balance on the final image.
And that’s it!
Thank you for your time and interest. I really hope this information will help someone out there. For learning more about this project check the images below.
dining room view
living room view