View all the Finalists for Rookie Awards 2024
Max Niva - My Rookies Submission - 2024
Share  

Max Niva - My Rookies Submission - 2024

Max Niva
by Niva on 1 Jun 2024 for Rookie Awards 2024

Hello! This entry contains four of my best projects from 2023 to today. Each and everyone of them are game ready assets created using a variety of different techniques. I hope you find them enjoyable ;)

2 150 0
Round of applause for our sponsors

Overview

In this entry you will find four projects. one environment, one diorama, one weapon/tool, and lastly some props. All of them were created during my time at Futuregames SkellefteƄ.

Wizard's Hut

This was made for a school project where we basically got to make whatever we wanted. I decided to make an environmental piece in the style of Stylized... style. The environment was assembled in Unreal Engine 5 and so was the final render.

The original concept was made by Sin jong hun and I got some mentoring from Joseph Hobbs throughout the project.


Breakdown 

The tree trunk was sculpted and baked to a low poly. The resulting masks where then blended together with a tillable texture in order to save on resolution.

The grass samples its color from the landscapes material and will always rotate to face the player. This minimizes the risk of players seeing the grass from undesirable angles.

All the foliage textures were made inside of substance designer.

Here is an overview of all the assets used in the scene.

Wireframe

Here is an overview of most of the objects used in the scene with their wireframe exposed.

Isolated Maps:

Final render, Detail lighting, Unlit, Normals, and Roughness.

Highpoly sculpt of some of the assets used in the scene.

The original concept for this building was made by Sin jong hun.

Dream Wand

This is a personal project where I challenged myself by making a game ready weapon. The concept is inspired by native American artifacts such as the dream catcher. The final render was taken in Unreal engine 5.

Breakdown

The wand uses two materials in total. One for the wand and one for the feathers.

The opals material was made inside of substance designer and then applied inside of substance painter.


Wireframe

The wireframe can be better viewed inside the marmoset viewer. However, here is an image it back it up.

All the feathers were made inside of Substance Designer. Here are some images of the node structure.

Highpoly sculpt of the wand done in Zbrush.

Molten Remnants

This was made for a school project where we were given the task of creating a game ready diorama of any kind in any style as a group of three. The only restriction we had was the poly-count.

I later continued on the project so that I would make it my own. Therefore, nothing remains of the other two team members in what I present here. The environment was assembled in Unreal Engine 5 and so was the final render.

Breakdown

This project gave me to opportunity to use "flowmaps" for the first time. The lava needed to flow in complex paths and therefore a simple panning texture would not suffice.

The rocks use a triplanar shader in order to keep the textures facing the right way even when stretched, scaled, and rotated.

The lavafall as well as the lava from the volcano and smoke was created in niagara.

Here is an overview of all the assets used in the scene.

Wireframe

Here is an overview of most of the objects used in the scene with their wireframe exposed.

Isolated Maps:

 Final render, Detail lighting, Unlit, Normals, and Roughness.

Highpoly sculpt of some of the assets used in the scene.

Still Life

In this project I tried to challenge myself by making game ready assets using techniques that I had never done before. The end result resembles a still life painting and so that became it's name. The final render was made in Marmoset Toolbag 4.

Breakdown

The various techniques that I used for this project include hand modeling the engravings for the silver pitcher. By doing this I can reuse engravings for different situations without having to make entirely unique ones.

I didn't feel confident that I could sculpt pomegranates that would reach the same visual fidelity as the pitcher so I tried my hand at creating them using photogrammetry instead. It is a lot faster and good for making realistic complicated objects.

Wireframe

The wireframe can be better viewed inside the marmoset viewer. However, here is an image it back it up.

The image to the right describes briefly how I made the engravings on the silver pitcher. The left picture shows the resulting mesh and texture from Meshroom.

The handkerchief was a 1:1 plane (with a bit of thickness) that I applied a simple cloth simulation to and then baked to the mesh. The texture was made inside of Substance Designer.

Highpoly meshes were finished inside of Zbrush

Thank you!

You made it all the way through!

Thank you for taking your time to look through my progress, I hope you found it enjoyable. There is still so much for me to learn but this is both the struggle and joy of being an artist. If you want to give feedback on some of my work, I am all ears.


Comments (0)

This project doesn't have any comments yet.