Update - 19 Jan 2023
Finally I ran a quick render test using Arnold. I used an HDRI to light up the scene and some Arnold lights for the robot's headlights. I'm not very happy with the areas where the metal comes out from under the white painted parts, this is the next thing I'm going to fix.
Other than this issue I'm quite happy with the result so far.
Update - 13 Jan 2023
In these days I tryed the colors in Substance Painter and I added some basic details, and I'm pretty happy with the result so far.
In the next days I'm going to export the textures and try to make a render test using Arnold, I want to see if the textures are as good as they look in Substance.
After that I should focus on arms and legs
Update - 9 Jan 2023
I'm happy to submit my first entry in a Rookies contest. This entry is for the texturing category.
This is the first of many updates I'll be posting during the process.
I started by checking the geometry an the UV of the model. After the fisrt check I closed some holed in the geometry and I fixed some edges with the crease tool in Maya.
I divided the model by colors based on the material I wanted to give to the different parts
After that I started searching some reference, my first idea was to gather some images from Pacific Rim found the armor and the helmet of one of the movie character (Raleigh Becket's) and I took them as references