I had the urge to do a small hard surface project in my little free time and I grabbed the most interesting item that was near me which was the Komplete Kontrol M32. I also wanted to combine the fun of creating a 3D asset with exploring a different way of texturing an asset. So with this little project, I combined hard surface modelling training with making a proof of concept for the texture pipeline of a little environment project I have in the planning stage.
The rendering was done in Unreal Engine 5 and colour graded in DavinciResolve with the OpenColorIO linear sRGB to ACEScg workflow.
The texturing workflow I wanted to test out is essentially building up the material inside Unreal Engine with the help of ID masks authorized in Substance Painter. Note that this workflow is meant for a whole production pipeline and texturing a single asset with it is overkill :)
I had to layer a lot of materials and in order to reduce the number of textures I had to juggle, I used a vertex colour channel to get the mask of two materials with one channel giving me 6 material masks per texture.
For the masks, I used user channels but I colourized them to provide a better overview.
The base materials were created in Substance Designer and I made a special roughness offset map in Painter which makes the roughness of the base materials smoother when the map has values below 50% grey and rougher if they are above 50% grey.
For our game project "Curse of the Pyramid" which I directed together with 4 other amazingly talented people I did all of the VFX (and so much more) and wanted to showcase them here. They are done in Unreal Engine Niagara.
To speed up the production of some of the effects I used a collection of textures that ship with the "Hack And Slash FX" by pelengami in the Unreal Marketplace.
I created an album cover for my brother's first EP in Unreal Engine 5 with the usage of ZBrush, Painter and DAZ Studio. I have seen a workflow presented by FlippedNormals where they use the base mesh of a DAZ character. I found it very intriguing that you can easily pose characters quickly and bounce the topology back and forth between ZBrush and DAZ Studio which allowed me to make this tornado of hands rather quickly.
I used Megascan textures as a base for the texturing.
The piece was rendered in Unreal Engine 5 (Early Access).
This artwork was born from a dream. Literally. I woke up, made a few sketches and soon after I made this render of a sculpt with ZBrush and Blender (Cycles). The rose was then coloured in Photoshop.
Little side note, my family loves the printed render hanging in the living room :)
This is an original character which I created for a game idea a long time ago. Half a year ago I decided to polish her up and gave Caramella Okieh (or short C. Okieh ) a much-needed revitalization. I sprinkled her hair with more polygons so the silhouette would hold up nicely, updated the textures, posed her and made a little environment around her.
This character was done with Blender, ZBrush and Painter and rendered in Marmoset Toolbag 3.
Lastly, I want to close with a small collection of projects I finished (and showcased) last year (Rookies 2021). I will not go into details here but feel free to check them out on my artstation: https://www.artstation.com/gomorrahdotd