Then I moved on to blocking out the weapons in maya. I did a very simple base by polymodelling and I took it to zbrush to add detail. I needed a break from sculpting the body so I decided to get the weapons done so I could have them out of the way as soon as possible. I came out with an approach to create the dragon scales using a displacement map. It consisted in unfolding the UVs completely straight by using the Unitize tool and then stitching the edges together. Then I laid the resulting UV vertically across multiple UV tiles and I used a tileable scale texture to create the displacement. Since the UVs were totally straight, but the dragons' tails kept getting smaller closer to the tip, it created the effect of the scales getting smaller. Then for the head, I just sculpted one in zbrush and used the same displacement as an alpha to make it blend a little with the bodies.
After I was done with this I focused on the rest of the hard surface, namely the arm, the belt and the shoes. This was a long process since it had so much detail, and I used many references of his arm that were sometimes a bit conflicting. The concept I took as reference wasn't super clear in some of the arm's shapes and it didn't show the shoes. But I was able to somehow make something coherent taking inspiration from here and there. It was also difficult to make the arm functional in terms of movement. For all of these parts I used a combined approach between maya and zbrush, creating a low poly version in maya and then subdividing and sculpting details inside zbrush, while keeping a good low-res mesh that would make it easier for me in the retopology stage.
After this came the turning point of posing the character. This was really difficult because of the dramatic pose and all the mechanical parts and asymmetry going on. I used Tpose mesh inside zbrush and a lot of isolating and masking individual parts. I had to iterate over the pose a few times before I got to a result I liked and resembled the concept. I also had to do quite a bit of reesculpting to make the anatomy fit the pose. Once posed, I got the mesh into marvellous to morph the clothes into the new position. I used maya's transfer attributes and retopology tools to create both a low-res and a hig-res version with quad topology that could be used in real-time. I had to add some extra topology to accomodate the folds of the pants, because they break the silhouette quite a bit, and I wanted a clean bake with no artifacts.