After I had finished sculpting and modelling all the main assets that formed the spotlight of the scene, I started texturing them using Mari. Texture work is my favourite part of the process, so this was a breeze to work with. The lookdev was a bit harder, especially with the subsurface scatter, but you can see in this process breakdown that I kept on iterating over it and improving the look. The first four weeks were devoted to creating these main assets, and the remaining four were for the environment, which was also a pretty big deal. I wanted to choose characters for games as my path for the following term, and that's part of the reason I decided to go for a piece more film-like and environment focused, because I also wanted to get familiar with these workflows. For the plants, I modelled some variations of leaves, clovers, little sprouts and grass, and scattered them all over the place using MASH. I also scattered a lot of rocks and manually placed some twigs to make the ground more believable. I also added little hairs to the big plant stems, which were implied in the original concept and also added to the realism. At this point the scene started getting really heavy with all these elements, so I used layers to turn some stuff off and avoid lagging.
To texture the environment I mostly used real pictures of leaves and alphas to achieve a more realistic look, and a Vray two sided material to recreate the effect of light shining through the foliage. I had to add a little color correction to match them to the hue of the scene, but it ended up blending pretty well with everything else.