Are you ready to show your skills? Rookie Awards 2023 is open for submissions!
Dwarf Blacksmith Character - Realtime

Dwarf Blacksmith Character - Realtime

Jake Lipelt
by Jekondeck on 28 May 2022 for Rookie Awards 2022

Realtime Character I made as a result of my years of self taught learning. Obviously I learned a lot from this project and look forward to the changes I will make for the next one!

2 308 0
Round of applause for our sponsors

            After years of learning on my own by scrounging any and all sources I could find, including but not limited to: Youtube, friends, books, ancient Reddit threads, and forum posts I have finally made it to a place where I believe that to continue learning I need real work experience and direction before I become too comfortable with my own way of doing things.

          This project was one of the first things I ever thought to make when I first discovered 3D production, however I quickly realized making a full character meant much more than having a cool idea and letting computers do the rest, so I told myself it would be my capstone once I felt confident enough in what I had learned. After about 3 years of studying and practice, more programs than I can count, and a brief intermission as a woodworker, I think I have finally made it to the top of the hill.

Software used: Marvelous designer, Substance Painter, Photoshop, Zbrush, Maya 2020, Blender, Marmoset Toolbag 3

          When it comes to designing characters, or really any part of a world for that matter, I have always been far more interested in the NPC or side characters as opposed to the hero or flagship villain a title may have. Fortunately for me, that is what makes up most of any world in a story so the plan is that I won't have an issue running out of things to make, hopefully.

As for specifics:

         The full polycount is hanging at around 70k, with four separate UDIMS at 2048x2048 as I wanted to make it pop but still have the makings of good optimization, if I were to set this up to be strictly optimized I would take the hair (of which I only used 2-3 strands from the atlas) body, and cloth and fit it into one tile, deleting the geometry of the body that would be sitting underneath the outfit. Which would land the model to be closer to the 50k mark with 2 UDIMS that I would generally aim for. 

          Now for the glamour shots, these are done in natively in Substance Painter using iray, thank you for stopping by!

Comments (0)

This project doesn't have any comments yet.