2020-2021 Environment Reel
Share  

2020-2021 Environment Reel

Narcis Calin
by NarcisCalin on 31 May 2021 for Rookie Awards 2021

Here I show my last three Environments I made over the last year.

9 462 2
Round of applause for our sponsors

"The Workshop"

The Workshop is a project i started initially to improve my Hard Surface and Procedural Texturing skills. Everything in the scene is modeled and textured by me except the car which i only textured. The car model is made by Szymon Kubicki

Softwares used: 3ds Max, V-Ray, Substance Painter, Substance Designer, tyFlow, Quixel Mixer

Procedural texturing nodes inside 3ds Max

Breakdown video of The Workshop

"Bell Of The Set Free"

Scene inspired by Japanese Environments and Culture. I modeled, unwrapped, sculpted and textured the ground, stairs, bell, pagoda and wood beam.

Softwares used: 3ds Max, V-Ray, Substance Painter, ZBrush, RizomUV, Forest Pack

The bell was first modeled using splines and basic shapes. Then i went into ZBrush and i added Dynamesh to it so the overlapping geometry gets "welded". After that i remeshed and unwrapped it so i could have some good uv's to work with later. Imported it into ZBrush and started sculpting details and trying to follow my reference pictures. Finally made the UDIMS in RizomUV and started texturing it in Substance Painter

Breakdown video of Bell Of The Set Free

"Undead Asylum Remake Fanart"

This project is a Fan made Remake of the tutorial area of Dark Souls. I made it in collaboration with Emil Rasmussen.

In this scene i was mainly in charge of Texturing, Dressing and Lighting, but i worked as well on Modeling, Sculpting, and some FX.

Software used: 3ds Max, V-Ray, Substance Painter, Zbrush, Houdini, Quixel Mixer, Forest Pack, Tyflow, RizomUV

The walls were made by assembling them with the kitbash we sculpted in ZBrush. The bricks, pillars, etc were already unwrapped so what i had to do was to make the UDIMS for the entire walls. I had made flexible Smart materials so i just had to apply them to the models and tweak the values. Then i manually added leaks so I could make it look less procedural.

For the smaller assets i started with basic shapes and made a simple blockout and unwrapped. Then i went into ZBrush and started breaking the shape. When i was happy with the result i made the UDIMS (if needed) and went to Substance Painter to make the Texturing

The Dressing was made using Forest Pack and tyFlow. For the bigger debris i simply made them fall from above so they could land i a more realistic way.


Comments (2)