The creative brief I gave myself was a doughnut being shot at a wall. Created in Houdini, this project uses Vellum and Particles to show our tasty friend being shot at a wall and meeting it's crumbly demise.
The doughnut was modeled in Houdini and fractured using a boolean fracture to create a specific break that was similar to reference. The sugar was created using a particle system, and that same particle system was used to create a dough chunk spray. The doughnut ammo crate was modeled in Maya and textured in Substance Painter.
Unfortunately, there aren't many doughnut smashing videos on the internet - therefore finding reference was very difficult. This meant I had to make a trip to the supermarket and buy some unwilling doughnuts to be filmed being hurled at the side of my house.
Initially I had used vellum grains for the base of my doughnut, but found that it resembled too much of a ball of sand rather than the humble doughnut.
I'm going to continue this project and create the jam spraying out in either a FLIP or POP fluid simulation!