This is my showreel I made for my last year at Escape Studios learning VFX.
This is a specialism project for my university degree in Escape Studios. I wanted to make a hyena for this project because I wanted to explore the creature pipeline and look into the areas of the pipeline I feel unfamiliar with like facial expressions of a creature and muscles simulations.
In the modelling phase of this project, I used the dog base mesh to start off and made the muscles from scratch using spheres and the move brush. I also did this with the skeleton for the hyena as well. I used a lot of references to the hyena and I used dog anatomy too because It was similar to a hyena.
For the UVs I made sure to optimised areas that didn't have much fur and make areas like the face and give it more texel density. After the uvs I textured the hyena and made it a navy like colour after seeing a lot of references I noticed it was a little navy and a little grey because of the dryness of the nose and slime drying up on the nose. I also gave the nose a crunchy texture like a dogs nose. For the fur, I used Yeti and using references of hyenas I looked at how the fur flows and made it as close to the way my references fur flowed and how messy it is. For the environment, I used paint fx and painted them on the ground plane then enabled grass wind and made it subtle by making the settings low for the grass wind.
Group Project (https://www.therookies.co/entries/10771)
This is a group project where I had to collaborate with animations students. In this project, I had to model a kiwi using concept art. I also had to make the crane wings and create blendshapes for it when it folds in and folds out. I was also given the task to make the plane, paper fold rig and book with the page fx.
In this project, I wanted to make a creature using a concept and so I found a concept art by Andrew Domachowski. I looked for references of old people and successful creatures in films that were similar to the one I was doing so I used Maw from Avengers Infinity War as well as Thanos and I looked at what made those characters successful in CGI live-action. I wanted to focus on areas I thought were the most important, like the face and the body's overall proportions. I also practised anatomy and looked at Maw's anatomy and human anatomy and used old people and a human lanky body type. For the clothes, I wanted to explore how drapery clothes were made to imitate the concept art and looked at references in lord of the rings and long garments in general. Overall I like how it turned out.
For this project, I wanted to make an elephant and looking into wrinkled creatures and skin. I looked at references in lion king and real-life elephants as well. I gave it a fantasy look as well by adding extra tusk too. I also looked at the anatomy of an elephant and where the muscles are for an elephant. I really like how the trunk turned out and I think I would improve on the skin details. My next step would be to texture the elephant in Mari and make an environment for the elephant in the final render.