Rookie Awards 2022 is open for submissions. Click here.
CHUN-LI fan art (UE4)
Share  

CHUN-LI fan art (UE4)

Nikolas Alvaryo
by NikolasAlv on 6 May 2021 for Rookie Awards 2021

concept by: johnson ting in artstation Self-thought project That I made during the Covid. The main purpose of the project is to discover UE4 utilities and their strengths. Female aesthetics, anatomy, Cinematic feel, and lighting. Learned new things along the way: new software, workflow, and hard surface in Zbrush.

5 703 0
Round of applause for our sponsors

These images were rendered out with movie sequencer which works really nice and gives you control over the results too.

I planned from the start to give this project an environment to add mood and character to it.

It also teaches me more about the way unreal works with lighting and camerawork.

Lookdev


7 TEXTURE SETS: 1 4K HAIR, 1 4K DRESS, 1 4K FACE, 1 4K BODY, 1 4K LOWER LEG, 1 4K UPPER THIGH, 1 2K EYES AND EXTRAS

Yes, I am aware 7 texture sets are too much for games. I just wanted to push details on this project.

Strands made in xgen and baked into a plane in Xnormals.

When making the strands in Maya I differentiate the clumps into 4 parts:

Primary (thick), Secondary (medium volume), Thin (1-10 strands), and a single stray hair.

So the hair going to look like a helmet when I put it together and it gives it depth.

Alpha, Heightmap (for depth of the hair), ID (so individual stands are more obvious), AO (optional I didn't use it in the end but useful to give the fake highlight and depth IMO), Root and tip mask.

For the hair placement, I did it place it manually in maya.

Material building UE4

Material that I made for make the production of plugging in maps and tweaking faster.

One of the essential things that I did in substance painter is to utilize the ACES CG LUT.

It helps a lot with the texturing process because the lut makes things look less washed and makes the color pop out more, makes things feel more natural.

Also helps when trying to match the color/look in unreal from substance.

Same case with the colorspace in Mari.

Made the texturing work faster I used Zwrap to project the main parts of the face in ZBrush and baked it in Xnormal so I got the texture.

As for the displacement, I applied it back in ZBrush and more details to it.

I hope you guys enjoyed it so far. Cheers! and keep grinding.


Comments (0)

This project doesn't have any comments yet.