Rookie Awards 2020 | Studio Internships
Weta Digital is looking for an Art Intern to join the team for one month of experience within their world-class Concept Art Department.
On behalf of the sponsors and judges, The Rookies would like to congratulate the following category winners.
New Zealand | The University of Auckland
I've always enjoyed drawing, observing and understanding the world around me. Although it wasn't later in life that I realised all the worlds I dreamed up and put to paper was what concept designers do.
The following winners made a lasting impression on the judging panel and secured highly sought after badges.
Weta Digital is one of the world’s premier visual effects companies. Led by Senior Visual Effects Supervisor Joe Letteri, Weta Digital is known for its culture of creativity and innovation. From Gollum to Caesar, Middle-earth to Pandora, the studio has created some of the most memorable characters and worlds of the last twenty five years.
This amazing opportunity is open to aspiring artists who want to be a part of Weta’s Concept Art Department. The aim is to help kick start their career, working amongst renowned artists and gaining valuable insight into working life in the VFX industry as a member of a concept art team.
The winner will receive feedback from experienced artists on their work, developing their knowledge of the VFX pipeline and will be evolving their skill set on some of the most exciting film projects in production.
- You must be a 2D Concept Artist.
- Your work must be primarily 2D based. 3D elements are allowed to help with composition and blocking, but should not be the focus.
- Must be motivated to work in the Concept Art Department on blockbuster feature films.
- Must be able to complete the internship during the second half of 2020.
- Must legally be allowed to work in New Zealand. (Working visa not provided).
Requirements & Deliveries
- You must create a single entry page that includes all your best 2D Concept Art projects. Do not create multiple entries with single projects as you will be disqualified.
- Include strong examples of props, environments and character work in your entry.
- You can include examples of 3D concept art, but the primary
- Do not submit 3D models. Although this is often heavily incorporated into a concept artists skillset, judges are looking for how you incorporate 3D elements to enhance your 2D painting skills. If using photo-reference, fan-art or other elements, please credit owner.
The judges are looking for artists that are ready for the challenges of production. The judges will be considering your overall presentation, technical skills, creative skills, variety of content, and employment potential. Treat your entry like a job interview. You have one page to show how amazing your skills are.
From the Concept Art Dept - We’re looking for artists with a big imagination. Someone who can tell a story in a single image utilizing light, colour and composition. Our intern will have a natural flair for creating beautiful photo-realistic images by hand and in photoshop. Experience with 3D modelling, ZBrush and Maya would be a bonus but not a necessity for the right candidate.
- Studio Location: Wellington, New Zealand.
- Art Department position.
- 4-week duration.
- No accommodation provided.
- Fully paid position.
How to enter
- Read the Rules. Don’t worry, there isn’t too much lawyer talk in there. Quick Link.
- Create an Entry using the button below.
- Select Weta Digital during application process.
Need some help? Watch this video demonstration to help make sure you create the best entry possible.