Monster Challenge | Monster Challenge Categories
2D Concept Art
This category is for all the 2D Concept Artists out there who love nothing more than bringing characters and objects to life.
The Director is looking to pitch his idea of a modern retelling of Frankenstein to a number of film studios. Alongside his pitch, he would like to present some concepts of how his interpretation of Frankenstein’s monster will look on screen. The Director has the actor and mocap performance specialist, Ace Ruele, in mind to play the monster and he has some notes to make his modern retelling stand out from the crowd, which you will find below.
Your task is to take the reference images provided of the actor Ace Ruele, the director notes and create a 2D Concept Art piece of Frankenstein’s monster.
- A mix of man and animal. Maybe our Frankenstein will be a veterinarian? Working in a zoo which is how he gets all his body parts to do his experiments.
- I want to play with proportions! How would this impact the movement of the monster
- From Mary Shelley’s Frankenstein: “His yellow skin scarcely covered the work of muscles and arteries beneath; his hair was of a lustrous black, and flowing; his teeth of pearly whiteness; but these luxuriances only formed a more horrid contrast with his watery eyes”
- From Mary Shelley’s Frankenstein: “…his shrivelled complexion”
The Director has provided you with the following shots of Ace Ruele along with some examples of how the proportions could be exaggerated and the poses pushed to be more animalistic. View Reference Here.
Requirements & Deliveries
This is a Play-by-Play contest. Entrants need to share their progress by adding multiple updates to your entry page, similar to how a forum discussion works. Learn more about Play-by-Play contests in our Helpdesk.
We want you to create an entry page that shares your entire process from beginning through to final work. As a result, entries that only upload a single update will not be considered.
This not only allows members to follow along, but it helps the judges truly understand how you work.
For your final update, entrants must submit a Final 2D Artwork of their finished design. This must be with the following settings to ensure a high quality print:
- Width x Height: 360 x 260 millimeters (4252 x 3071 pixels) or a 5x7 ratio
- Orientation: Landscape or Portrait
- Resolution: 300 Pixels/Inch (PPI)
- Color Mode: RGB Color
- Advanced Options > Color Profile: Adobe RGB (1998)
- Pixel Aspect Ratio: Square Pixels
How to enter
Use the button below to create an entry. Use this entry page to share updates as you create your masterpiece. Your last update will be considered as your final submission.