Rookie Awards 2022 | Career Opportunities
Wētā FX is looking for an Intern to join The Virtual Art Department (VAD) for a one month of experience.
On behalf of the sponsors and judges, The Rookies would like to congratulate the following category winners.
Australia | Swinburne University of Technology
There wasn't an exact moment I realised I wanted to work in the creative media and entertainment industry. I have always been fascinated with art and creative mediums, so it felt natural to go down this path. I couldn't be more happy or think of another industry I'd rather be in.
Australia | CG Spectrum
I've known that a career in 3D was for me ever since I was a youngster. Being obsessed with animated film, TV, and video games, I knew I wanted to be a part of that industry and create art that impacts others, the same way those games and movies impacted me.
Australia | CDW Studios/Flinders University
In my early teens, I saw an advert for a 3D modelling course and I was drawn to the visuals. Little did I know that was the origin of my journey into the medium of digital 3D. As time went on, I realised the creative media and entertainment industry was the industry for me.
Australia | Flinders University / CDW Studios
I have always had a deep love for the entertainment industry, primarily in film and video games. From a very young age, it has been a dream of mine to work in said industry, and this goal is currently at the forefront of my life.
The following winners made a lasting impression on the judging panel and secured highly sought after badges.
*Wētā FX The Virtual Art Department (VAD) at Weta is one of only a few of its kind in the world. Our small and passionate team of generalists deliver real-time assets for Mocap, Previs, and Animation, using the unique Weta proprietary pipeline and contribute to the successful delivery of shows. In VAD we value our diverse culture and professional backgrounds, and we encourage an atmosphere of learning and team work.
This amazing opportunity is open to aspiring artists who want to be a part of Wētā FX’s Virtual Art Department. The aim is to help kick start their career, working amongst renowned artists and gaining valuable insight into working life within the VFX industry as a member of the Virtual Art Department.
The winner will receive feedback from experienced artists on their work, developing their knowledge of the VFX pipeline and will be evolving their skill set on some of the most exciting film projects in production.
Requirements & Deliveries
- You must create a single entry of 1 minute in length that includes all your best assets with wireframe
- Include examples of low res real-time assets from high resolution geo/scans/2d refs in your entry
- Demonstrate an ability to create accurate models from 2d reference, previs or scan data
- You must be competent in 3d modelling and PBR material editing
- Must be motivated to work in the Virtual Art Department and witness the production of blockbuster feature films.
- Must be able to complete the internship during the second half of 2022.
- Must legally be allowed to work in New Zealand. (Working visa not provided).
The judges are looking for artists that are ready for the challenges of being part of a VFX production pipeline. The judges will be considering your overall presentation, technical skills, creative skills, variety of content, and employment potential. Treat your entry like a job interview. You have one page to show how amazing your skills are.
We are looking for artists with strong technical and creative skills, who can demonstrate a wide range of models with clean and efficient topology (preferably with wireframe stills). We’re keen to see work produced using Maya, Z-Brush, Substance painter, Photoshop, Quixel and/or Mudbox.
- Studio Location: Wellington, New Zealand.
- 4-week duration.
- No accommodation provided.
- Fully paid position.
How to enter
- Click Submit Entry button to create an entry page.
- Upload your best images, videos and supporting media using our entry page builder.
- Select ‘Career Opportunities > Wētā FX’ as your nominated category.
- Add details including a cover image, title, description, tags, and software used.
- Accept rules and confirm eligibility.
- Confirm & Submit your entry to judging panel.
Need some help? Watch this video demonstration to help make sure you create the best entry possible.