Rookie of the Year
Visual effects involves the integration of live-action footage and generated imagery to create photo realistic environments, characters, sets, props, animation and effects that would be dangerous, expensive, impractical, or simply impossible to capture on film.Create Entry
More About the Contest
Entries should include content created for use with live action footage or backplates. This is the most important factor at play here, the end game. The judges want to see artists that understand how to work with live action footage at any stage of the pipeline.
We understand that not all Visual Effects work uses a live action plate, but the core brief here is that content must be targeted towards being used in a live action film. The goal must be photo real, the goal must be for your contribution to help make the best possible finished result for a live action film.
Rotoscoping, Matchmove, Modellers, Texture & Shading, Riggers, Lighters, Animators, Compositors, Editors, Effects TDs…
- Combine all your best work into one single entry. Multiple entries with individual projects will not be reviewed.
- If the end goal for your submitted work isn’t to be used in a live action film or to integrate with plates, this is not the category for you. Please submit work to 3D Animation category.
- This category is open to matchmove and roto artists. Even though your final work doesn’t show completed shots we want you to share your knowledge of working with live action footage and setting up scenes. This work is just as important as final shots.
- Character and Environment artists are allowed to submit content to this category. However please make sure it is targeted towards integrating into live action eg: character turntable of photorealistic asset that could be used in a visual effects film
- Please don’t submit photorealistic work if it’s 100% computer generated. The judges are looking for understanding of visual effects techniques.
- Share your process. If submitting a final compositing shot, make sure to include a breakdown of how it was created.
We are proud and humbled to have the support of these industry leading brands that are passionate about helping the next generation of creators.