Rookie Awards 2021 | Career Opportunities
Important Looking Pirates
Important Looking Pirates is looking for 3 x interns to join the team for 2-3 months of experience with their world-class team.
On behalf of the sponsors and judges, The Rookies would like to congratulate the following category winners.
Belgium | ArtFX School
Since my childhood, the digital world has never stopped impressing me. I'm always ready to provide hard work and improving my skills.
United States | School of Visual Arts
I became interested in the entertainment industry In high school when I took my first game design class using Adobe Flash. I attended School of Visual Arts major in Computer Arts, Computer Animation and VFX. I started learning Grooming in the sophomore year because I believe a groom makes a character look so much better. And after attending the SIGGRAPH Conference, I got introduced to Houdini and fell in love with simulations.
Spain | Animum Creativity Advanced School
I studied audiovisual comunication 8 years ago and i was working in differents companys as an audiovisual technician. Three years ago i realized that what i really want to do was work in the VFX industry. I was looking for a master and i found the VFX master with Houdini and Nuke at Animum Creativity Advance school. Now, after 21 months of hard work, im totally sure that im in the correct way. I know that my future is work as an FX artist.
The following winners made a lasting impression on the judging panel and secured highly sought after badges.
Important Looking Pirates is one of Scandinavia’s biggest visual effects studios. Located in the heart of Stockholm we create photorealistic VFX for international TV series and feature films. ILP was founded by artists in 2007 with the vision to become one of the top international suppliers of VFX. Since our management are artists themselves the focus of the company has always been on the quality of our work. That focus has not only earned us the big productions we are working on today but also international recognition and several of the most prestigious industry awards.
Our ambition with the internship program is to find new, driven FX artists, help them become self-sufficient in the demanding environment at ILP, and hopefully be able to hire them by the end of the internship period.
As an intern at ILP you will jump straight into production on some of the biggest movies and TV series from day one. You will get an experienced pirate as your mentor who will be responsible for teaching you the skills you need to strive and grow in our production environment, as well as lead you on your shots.
Requirements & Deliveries
- You must create a single video showing your strongest effects examples you created
- Do not include work which is directly based on a tutorial
- Include references in a corner of the render when possible (for realistic FX shots)
- Show a wide range of skill sets if possible (RBD, fluid, particles, realistic FX, magical FX)
- Include a breakdown of what exactly you did in each shot (if you show collaborative work)
- You must be an FX Artist well versed in Houdini.
- Must be motivated to work and learn in a high paced environment.
- Must be able to complete the internship during the second half of 2021.
- Must have access to a decent internet connection and computer, with a ping time to Stockholm below 60ms in order to connect to our servers.
- Must be able to invoice us to get paid during the internship.
The judges are looking for artists that are ready for the challenges of production. The judges will be considering your overall presentation, technical skills, creative skills, variety of content, and employment potential. Treat your entry like a job interview. You have one page to show how amazing your skills are.
From the FX department: we are looking for artists with a good technical knowledge and a certain comfort level with complex problem solving. But what we are really looking for are artists with a good visual eye and a passion to achieve the highest level they are capable of. The technical skill we will teach you, if there is a solid base to build on, but the artistic eye is what we all look for.
- Remote internship
- FX department position
- 2-3 month duration
- Partially paid position
How to enter
- Click Submit Entry button to create an entry page.
- Upload your best images, videos and supporting media using our entry page builder.
- Select ‘Career Opportunities > Important Looking Pirates’ as your nominated category.
- Add details including a cover image, title, description, tags, and software used.
- Accept rules and confirm eligibility.
- Confirm & Submit your entry to judging panel.
Need some help? Watch this video demonstration to help make sure you create the best entry possible.