Rookie Awards 2021 | Game of the Year
Team and individual games that have been designed to use the latest immersive media headsets and systems. Completed projects preferred, but game play examples and trailers accepted.
On behalf of the sponsors and judges, The Rookies would like to congratulate the following category winners.
Project Photon | VR Experience
Project Photon is a Virtual Reality immersive experience created by Michaela Kindlova and Abhineetam Chaurasia.
Dream Droplets is the poetic VR experience that I made as my graduation project at HKU in 2020, The Netherlands. The experience focuses on communicating the internal world of Kim through the immersion of VR, visual storytelling, and a poem.
An intense and atmospheric virtual reality experience. Taking place aboard a faithful digital recreation of HMS Alliance during The Cold War, the player fills the shoes of fictional USSR agent Anatoly Oblonsky as he boards an enemy vessel to carry out an espionage mission to extract nuclear plans.
Shoot your astral arrow to solve the fascinating puzzles of a mysterious celestial world. In a calm and timeless atmosphere, reflection and concentration will be the keys to victory. An experience available in virtual reality!
Zensus is an immersive experience that allows the person to enter a small world through VR, where they can connect with their senses and relax.
The following winners made a lasting impression on the judging panel and secured highly sought after badges.
The primary focus for this category is games designed to be played with headsets - VR, AR, MR. The judges are looking for completed games here. This is not a category for people to share parts of a game they contributed to. If you have not completed your game yet, please make sure to share a teaser trailer to pitch your work to the judges.
- You must submit a completed game or teaser trailer. Single assets and clips will not be considered.
- Please include supporting material with your finished game. The judges need to better understand the process, the challenges and how your game was created.
- Team entries are allowed. Make sure that only one team member submits the project and tag any additional team members as project collaborators.
- Games must not have been released prior to June 2020.
- Successful entries in previous years have included video footage of people playing the games. Other ideas have included screencasts where the team walk you through the platform.
- Ask questions on our Discord Channel if you need help.
- Review Winning Entries from last year that were selected by our judges.
- Watch this video demonstration that shows how to create a perfect entry.
Requirements & Deliveries
- Read the Rules to make sure you are eligible to enter.
- No professional work may be included in your entry.
- Share your process with the judging panel by including supporting material, not only finished work.
The judges are looking for artists or teams that have created a game that is not only creatively and technically sound, but is also fun and immersive to play. They are looking for artists or teams with a passion for game design and development. The judges will be considering your overall presentation, technical skills, creative skills, variety of content, and employment potential.
How to enter
- Click Submit Entry button to create an entry page.
- Upload your best images, videos and supporting media using our entry page builder.
- Select ‘Game of the Year > Immersive Media’ as your nominated category.
- Add details including a cover image, title, description, tags, and software used.
- Accept rules and confirm eligibility.
- Confirm & Submit your entry to judging panel.