Rookie Awards 2021 | Rookie of the Year
Looking for artists creating content specifically for use with virtual reality headsets. The judges are wanting to see completed games, apps, immersive experiences and all the elements involved in pushing this technology to the next level.
On behalf of the sponsors and judges, The Rookies would like to congratulate the following category winners.
Malaysia | The One Academy Penang
After graduated from secondary school
Netherlands | HKU University of the Arts Utrecht
In my late teens, it became real to me that I could also be able to create the imaginative worlds I kept being sucked into. This passion became a hard-working and meaningful pursuit where I could experience wonder in my everyday life and stylize it in a way where I could help others with its whimsy.
United States | Savannah College of Art and Design
Having recently completed my Master in Interactive Design & Game Development at SCAD, I am continuing my studies in computer graphics & programming as a CG Generalist. My expertise is in procedural modelling & pipeline optimization, but I have expanded beyond to apply procedural strategies into rigging, animation, FX, real-time applications & machine learning. I adapt quickly & truly enjoy learning new things every day. I look forward to an opportunity to work with a team as motivated as I am.
Malaysia | The One Academy
After graduating from secondary school, I'm interested in the creative industry. I feel the design is very spontaneous as we can explore different kinds of art styles from different people, countries, cultures, etc... There are no limitations or boundaries exist in the creative industry. We are free to think big and creatively in order to bring surprises to the industry and the community.
The following winners made a lasting impression on the judging panel and secured highly sought after badges.
The judges are looking for the best young artists passionate about immersive media. You will need to show experience with creating content for VR, AR, MR and everything else in between. The judges are looking to find the best technical and creative artists creating content specifically for use with headsets. This includes games, apps, and all immersive experiences in between.
- The judges are looking for the artists that can demonstrate the best skills in immersive media. This could be a modeller, it could be a developer. The key is to show an understanding of what it takes to create immersive content and fully utilise the technology.
- Some of the best previous entries have included videos of people playing their games and using their assets. It’s a great way to show how entertaining you have made your experience.
- This category is a good mix of creativity and technical ability. Our judges will be considering both equally and looking for that artist that is truly pushing the boundaries in this field.
- Ask questions on our Discord Channel if you need help.
- Review Winning Entries from last year that were selected by our judges.
- Watch this video demonstration that shows how to create a perfect entry.
Requirements & Deliveries
- Read the Rules to make sure you are eligible to enter.
- This category is for artists that specialise in using CAD software.
- No team entries allowed for this category.
- Share your process with the judging panel by including supporting material, not only finished artworks.
The judges are looking for artists that are ready for employment. They are looking for artists with a passion for this category and have worked hard to hone their skills.
The judges will be considering your overall presentation, technical skills, creative skills, variety of content, and employment potential. Treat your entry like a job interview and share your best work to impress the judges.
How to enter
- Click Submit Entry button to create an entry page.
- Upload your best images, videos and supporting media using our entry page builder.
- Select ‘Rookie of the Year > Immersive Media’ as your nominated category.
- Add details including a cover image, title, description, tags, and software used.
- Accept rules and confirm eligibility.
- Confirm & Submit your entry to judging panel.